Friday, May 18, 2012

Lost my Wisdom, Gained a TARDIS

Ah, the first real adventure of the summer: having my wisdom teeth removed. Well, on Monday I went in to have a consultation and set up an appointment to get all four of my wisdom teeth removed. It turned out that the earliest they could get me in was the next morning...say what? Challenge accepted.

I woke up that morning at 6:37am, we were supposed to leave by 7am, I had forgotten to set my alarm, oops. So I got ready in a flash and hopped in the car to take the little under an hour drive to Seattle. On the way I took the first of the two Valium pills I was given. By the time we reached the office I had yawned about a hundred times. I sleepily checked in, took the other pill, and sat down to wait my turn.

Soon enough the nurse came and took me back. They laid my down in the chair and got me ready for the procedure. Now, because of some of my health conditions, they did not want to put me under complete anesthesia so I got Valium and laughing gas. They let the laughing gas fill my body until I felt all tingly and funny. Then they got to work numbing the area with shots. I didn't really care about what they were doing in my mouth. I had my eyes closed through most of the operation and just did what they told me to.

My constant comfort through it all was Jesus. In my mind, I saw Him sitting beside me. He was on a little hill surrounded by trees and a blue sky. My picture of heaven is very nature-oriented and it was like it was opened right at my left hand, while on my right the surgeon was working on my mouth.

The most eventful thing that happened was that I almost passed out. I have passed out once before so I know what it feels like. I was getting dizzy and falling through darkness, but the surgeon and her assistant started talking to me and waking me up so that I would not fall asleep. To avoid falling into unconsciousness, I started humming. The surgeon didn't know what I was humming, but it was "A Whole New World" from Aladdin. I don't know why, but that was the first song that popped into my head. It was also comforting.

Then, not too much later I was done. All my wisdom teeth were out and I was free to go. So, holding the ice pack to my swelling face, I made my way to my Dad who drove me home, where another adventure was waiting for me. I needed a Doctor. :)

But before we get to him, here are some pictures of me:
 the day I got them out (with gauze in my mouth)  
Wednesday night (when my cheeks were at their puffiest)
 and today as the swelling is going down (thank goodness).



Now, onto the next chapter in this blog post:
I found myself flying around the universe with a strange man inside of a blue box. Yes, I had finally entered into the fanbase known as "Doctor Who". Now, I was a companion of the Doctor as he saved the universe, one forty-five minute episode at a time. I was his shortest companion by far, but perhaps the first before Donna who was not smitten with him.


The thing I discovered is that, for me at least, the show's charm lies in the interaction with the Doctor and his companions/recurring characters. The individual episodes were hit and miss as to whether or not I particularly liked them, but I found myself quite enjoying the show as a whole. Some of the aliens looked laughable, especially the green *ahem, gaseous ones from season one and the little "fat babies"from season four.

*Beware if you haven't seen the show through season 4, avast ye matties, there be spoilers ahead!*

Some of my favorite episodes, thus far have included: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways, The Girl in the Fireplace, Fear Her, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday (Which made me cry!), The Shakespeare Code (mostly for it's Harry Potter references), Daleks in Manhattan/The Evolution of the Daleks, and, my favorite thus far: Blink.

Oh my goodness, I almost scared myself out of sleeping last night. I watched Blink and half of Utopia right before bed, not my best idea. I love the Weeping Angel concept. It is so creepy. Now THAT is what I love in a good scary story. It's not blood and guts that scares me as much as the creeping, unstoppable unknown. The idea that something can't move when you look at it but that is deadly if you turn away..or even blink. Ooooh that's good Moffat, very good. This is why I like really good ghost stories, they are creepy and seem almost in the realm of possibility. This is why I'm phsyched to see The Woman in Black at my $3 theater next week with my mom and sister. Should be creepy. 

Well, that's all I've got for y'all this time. Now, the TARDIS is pulling out and I can't wait to see where it's going to take me next, well, till next time!! Alons-y!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! Now at the lunch table I am going to loose you to the Dr. Who culture, too. Now I will never escape the nerd-dom world of LOTR, Harry Potter AND Dr. Who...Help!!! :)
    I'm glad you have a nearly-endless and delightful TV show to get you through these chipmunk days. Glad your swelling has gone down. Dad tells stories about Valium...that's some powerful stuff there! You really don't care about anything they're doing to you when you're on that stuff, do you?
    Miss you, dear! Keep writing, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't fret dear!! I'll keep the conversation from cutting you out. You have too many wonderful things to say. Or, you could join us....;)

      Yeah, I didn't care about anything, it was weird, but I'm glad because I didn't want to care about them removing my teeth. :)

      I will def keep writing, but you have to as well, kay?

      Delete
  2. I. must. resist. I must!
    I will keep writing. I am actually on here because I am planning to post again. We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete