Saturday, May 26, 2012

Art Appreciation

I just finished watching the Doctor Who episode about Vincent Van Gogh (Vincent and the Doctor). Wow. That one was really good. If you have not seen it, don't read this post, there will be spoilers.
The focus of this episode was not on the alien, but on the man who painted. Now, I have never liked Van Gogh's paintings as much as the work of other artists, but I cannot deny his skill. (I often prefer realistic to impressionistic paintings) Yet, seeing him portrayed in the show was not what moved me to tears (yes I cried, none of you will be surprised). It was the great gift that the Doctor gave him at the end of the show.

It was painful to watch his paintings being treated so haphazardly early on in the episode; as and artist I am painstakingly careful with almost everything I create. Seeing him paint over one of his paintings made me cringe so much. The depression that haunted Van Gogh was also sad. I know people who suffer from depression and it hurts so much when you want so badly to help, but you must watch helplessly. There is nothing you can do. When someone spirals down like that, it is painful for them and everyone else involved.

When he talked about hearing things and nature calling out at him to paint its beauty and mystery, I could relate. Sometimes I see something and I am seized with the compulsion to try and render it on paper. Often I am inspired by nature, but the human form is my favorite thing to draw, especially females (so much so that for a long time my men looked too effeminate). When I see a blank space on the wall, or a blank sheet of paper, or even a margin in a church bulletin, I am compelled to fill that space. I must create. It is not a desire, but a need. Not a day goes by that I don't draw something, whether it's a 24'' x 18'' drawing or a doodle on a napkin. I have been drawing for as long as I can remember, and I will never stop. I have been given this gift by God and I fully intend to refine my ability and use it for His glory.

The best part of the episode, was when the Doctor took Van Gogh to the museum in Paris in the year 2010 when a great portion of Van Gogh's work was on display there. It moved me to tears to see this man, who was told by everyone that he was a terrible painter, gaze upon the great impact and worth his paintings gained years after his death. To see his tears at hearing the glowing praise of the curator and his wonder at all the people looking at his works was so beautiful.
 As an artist, I don't see much return for my work today. I've won a few things, but the vast majority of my work would not earn a second glance from most. I have folders and folders of things, hidden away from the world, which will likely never see the light of day. I have been blessed with encouragement from my family, friends, and the few things I've won awards for, but Van Gogh didn't have any of that. To see the joy in his face filled me with joy too. To receive praise and appreciation for his work, was the greatest gift (aside from Jesus) that anyone could have given him.

So, since I launched into the subject of my own artwork, I will include a few pieces from my collection of artwork which is locked away in my old toy chest. Pardon the watermarks. I am paranoid about my work getting stolen. Sadly, I did not sign or date any of these so I can only guess at when I painted them. I believe the first two were done when I was a freshman in high school, so about 2006/2007. The other one was done a year later so around 2008 probably.

This was the first painting I ever did. I had purchased a set of acrylic paints and a book about how to paint and I taught myself. The things in this painting were copied from the book.
 This was the second painting I ever did, this image was also copied from the book, although I took liberties with the reeds and added more of them than were in the original.
 This was done a few years later. I think this was the 4th watercolor painting I ever did. I had a watercolor fairies book which inspired me to try watercolor. This painting, however, came completely out of my head. It was inspired by the blossoms from the plum tree in my front yard. I believe I worked from a picture of the tree branch for the background. The fairy was my own design.

3 comments:

  1. If you ever drew/painted/etc. me anything, I would treasure it forever; you have a beautiful gift, and I'm glad you're using it for His glory! Never stop making art. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if that doesn't make me want to create something for you, I don't know what would. :)

      What are a few of your favorite things?

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness... Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens... JK! ;)

    I love bright colors and sunsets and beautiful things of nature. :)

    ReplyDelete