Monday, June 25, 2012

(2) The Impossible Room

My eyes slowly slid into focus. Directly in front of me was a pair of shoes attached to a pair of legs in dark trousers. The owner of the legs was standing with his back to me, giving me a fine view of his long, white coat. I tilted my head back ever so slightly so I could see the man in the white coat better. He was busy fiddling with something on a long counter. He reached above him to pull a flask full of a blue liquid off the shelf overhead and placed it gingerly on the counter beside him. My senses were heightened. I slowly pulled myself into a sitting position and sat there, still as a mouse for a moment. Then, I turned my head to look around. There was a single table covered with a white sheet to my right, and to my left there was a large facet and a small metal drain. The walls were stone, like the floor, and they were covered in strange instruments, shelves filled with jars containing strange substances, and diagrams showing chemical compounds and...human internal structures. I was in a laboratory.
Why had the beasts brought me here? What could this man do to me? What were his orders? Why was I left unchained on the ground? I turned my attention back to the man in the coat, but he was still busy at his chemicals. I got slowly to my feet, my eyes scanning for a way out. I turned in a circle three times, there was no door, nor any windows. How had I gotten in here? I searched the floor and saw no sign of a trapdoor in the small, square room. I looked up at the ceiling and still could find no exit. There had to be one! I hadn't been walled in here had I? I was just bringing my eyes back to the man in the coat when I froze. He was staring right at me.

2 comments: